Forces Help to Buy
The Forces Help to Buy was first introduced in April 2014 and will end in December 2022. The scheme enables servicemen and servicewomen to borrow by way of an advance, up to half of their annual salary, to a maximum of £25,000. The loan is interest free and is intended to help you buy your first home, move to another property on assignment or because of changes to your family or medical circumstances.
The scheme is not related to any other Government funded Help to Buy scheme, but it can be used in conjunction with both the equity loan and shared ownership if you are purchasing a new build property. You do not have to buy a new build if you are not using any other Government scheme. The loan can be used towards the deposit, legal costs, surveyors, and estate agent fees. Most lenders accept the loan as a deposit. The property must be intended for your own immediate occupation. It cannot be used to purchase a buy to let property.
Are you on the Force and need advice?
Fill out the form to book a call with us and we’ll get back to you on your chosen date & time.
The internet is not a secure medium and the privacy of your data cannot be guaranteed.
Helping you secure the right mortgage.
Access to over 50 of the best known lenders.
Some exclusive offers you won’t get with the high street lenders.
Your home/property may be repossessed if you do not keep up repayments on your mortgage.
Some buy to let mortgages and bridging finances are not regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.
We can help you borrow up to 300% more on your mortgage
Even if you’ve recently left a full-time job of 10 years to start your own business! We don’t take a penny from you unless we secure the perfect mortgage for you and your family, get in touch now and start your new journey with us.
“CFM acted completely unhindered by the current Covid-19 pandemic. Their professionalism and efficiency was second to none. They also understood fully the Forces Help to Buy scheme which I was using. Our broker, Kathryn, acted professionally and diligently throughout.
She made sure I truly understood the process of a mortgage in principle, official offer etc which was all completely new to me as this was a mortgage for my first home. It’s fair to say that had I not instructed CFM, I would still be yet to move into my new home. Thank you Kathryn and CFM.”
- The loan is interest free, but you will have to pay a small amount of insurance each month to protect it, this is circa £6 per month, but will vary depending on how much you have borrowed
- The loan is repayable over 10 years with monthly instalments taken from your monthly salary. It is noted that your terminal benefits can be used to help clear any outstanding loan if required. Under the scheme you do not need to obtain legal advice to apply for the loan, but you will need a solicitor to assist in the purchase of a property.
- To be eligible for the Forces HTB you must be in regular service. For the Royal Navy you need to be accepted onto trained strength, and those in the Army and RAF having completed 2 years’ service from date of enlistment and be on trained strength.
- In addition, you do not need to be married or have dependent children to be eligible. To proceed you will need to apply on JPA through the self-service application.
- The Government recommends that you seek guidance through your chain of command and personal agency should you need assistance. Further information for this can be found on the JPA service user guide.
- If you intend to leave the forces after receiving the advance, you will have to pay the outstanding balance in full before you leave.
Let’s book an initial fee free consultation
For further information and advice on how the scheme can support your mortgage application, please contact us to speak to an experienced mortgage advisor.
Book a call